Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Deciding to Serve a Mission (Part 1)

I have told this story over and over, so I thought it was time to just write it down and explain what has happened regarding my mission from the very beginning. Those who know me generally well should know that I have wanted to serve a mission my entire life, but that desire became more serious when I turned 16. For five years now, I have waited to be able to serve and now that the time is here it seems unreal.

At the beginning of this semester, I thought I had everything worked out in my life. I was enrolled in all my classes and was prepared to serve my mission after Winter semester. I thought Heavenly Father wanted me to get an extra year in of school before I left, so I worked it out to be that way. Fall semester began and I had moved into my apartment, and started all my classes when I realized that something didnt feel right. I was thinking about student teaching and having an Elementary Education career, and I knew that wasnt what I wanted. I love math but if I changed my major to Math Education then it would be a permanent change and I was scared. It had been 2 years since I took Calculus and I dont remember almost anything. As I was trying to figure out what to do, my mom mentioned that maybe I should go on a mission sooner than I planned. I immediately dismissed that thought because I thought I knew what was going to happen in that area. I went to one of my friends from previous semesters and asked him for a priesthood blessing. In my blessing I was told that when I was making my decision it would feel right and I would receive my answer in the scriptures. I went home and opened my scriptures randomly to D&C 4, which contains these verses:

 Therefore, O ye that embark in the aservice of God, see that ye bserve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand cblameless before God at the last day.
 Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are acalled to the work;

I thought it was some mistake that these verses were about missionary work, so I ignored it and decided that I should change my major.  Changing your major at BYU-Idaho is hard enough regularly, but once you are past 60 credits it gets even harder and I had 82. I jumped through hoops all day long trying to change my classes and get permission to get everything worked out like it needed to, and the whole time I had this feeling that I wasnt doing the right thing. I tried to push aside the feeling, thinking that it was because I hadnt taken Calculus in so long and for once in my life I might struggle in school. I finally had everything sorted out and knew what classes I needed to take, but as I started to sign up for them, I had this absolute horrible feeling come over me. I struggled with the feeling all night and then decided to drop my classes and prepare for my mission. The second I did so, I was overwhelmed with peace and I knew I was making the right choice. Everything fell into place and I set up my schedule so that I could go to the temple, workout, and tutor everyday. I talked with my bishop, started and finished my papers within a week, and set up an appointment to meet with the stake president as soon as I could (which was one week after General Conference). I dont have time to finish the rest of this right now, so look for part 2 soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment