Sunday, August 26, 2012

Crazy Life

I decided it is time for me to start blogging again. School was crazy for a while and I stopped, but I realized today how much I miss it. I started blogging because I thought other people would want to see how funny I am :) but doing things for other people only last so long. I cannot possibly catch everyone up on what has happened this year so I will cut to the basics of the past few weeks. The biggest event would definitely be the drama surrounding my knee so I will start there.

About three weeks ago I was kneeing on the couch and my knee fell through the cushions and hit a metal something in the couch. I didnt think anything of it until I stood up and my knee hurt a little. The next few days it started getting stiffer and harder to bend but I thought maybe I just bruised my knee. My mom told me I should go swimming and do exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles, so after a few days we went swimming as a family. I worked my knee and thought that it would get better, but the days following our swim, my knee became significantly worse for wear. It hurt so bad that bending it became excruciatingly painful so I started to limp around. Mom and I looked it up and figured I had bruised a bone or tore my meniscus, and we thought it would heal with time. After another week the pain moved to my calf as well and I felt like I had a constant charley horse. On Tuesday (two weeks after I hit it) the pain became too much to even walk so I went to the doctor, and let me just say it reminded me why I hate doctor's offices. After spending 3 hours in there and only being attended to for a total of 1/2 an hour, I found out that I had part of a needle in my knee! 
The circle part is the needle in my right knee

The next day (Wednesday) I went to Rexburg to have a consultation with a knee specialist and he scheduled surgery the very next day.  I wish they had done local anesthesia because being put to sleep and waking up in a completely different place, feeling groggy and pain in your knee, is scary as crap. I vaguely remember saying something to that effect to the nurse.  The craziest part about having this needle in my knee is that I have NO IDEA how long it has been there or how it got in there. I have no entry wound and I know I have not hurt my knee for at least 2 years. For the past 4 years I have always had problems with this knee when I run but I had never thought anything of it. This injury is just as crazy as the toothpick I had stuck in my foot for two months when I was a sophomore in high school. After a week of healing my knee feels better than it has in the past three weeks, and it doesnt take effort to walk normal up and down the stairs. My theory on why my knee started to hurt now after having the needle in it for so long is that when I hit my knee on the couch it moved the needle deeper into my soft tissue, toward the bone. Now that it is out, I deeply hope I will be able to start running without my knee acting up. 

Moving on to my wonderful niece Naarya. She will be two years old this coming Christmas Eve and I am so incredibly grateful that I could see her grow. I know I am a little biased but she is the cutest kid on the planet when she isnt being a little stinkpot. Every time she see's my laptop now she asks to dance, meaning she wants me to turn on my music. A while ago I taught Ashtyn how to do the dance to Shakira's song Waka Waka and Ashtyn practiced relentlessly. Naarya watched her quite often and so when we played it this is what happened: 

I love her so much!!! I am more than excited to welcome another niece in November (Miranda is pregnant for those of you who dont know). Lindy's son, Thane, is becoming a little chunkster. He has gained 5 lbs in 2 months! He is super long too and has the most beautiful blue eyes. He looks just like his daddy (Dan calls Thane "his little dude"). 

Thane Elias Schubert
There is another little guy that I wish I knew more about but I will have to wait until the next life. Griffin would be two this year and while life has gone on without him, he has been a significant contributor to the growth and spirituality in my life and in his wonderful parents' life. 

I'm not sure why I thought of this but I want to have a little rant moment: I have quite a bit of food from last semester that I saved and stored in a box. Most of it was in containers or some type of bag, but these formed little to no protection. Everything I put in that box now tastes like stinky nasty laundry soap: not even a good kind! I do not own anything that even smells like it so I have no idea how it happened but now everything in that box is tainted. My chocolate chips are probably the worst, but I'm most upset about my expensive nuts. I think if I had rolled them in cow manure they would taste better than they do now. So dumb! My coconut was ruined too, which if you know anything about me, you know I love my coconut! 

I should work harder on transitioning my thoughts but I'm just going to start into my next topic: tutoring. I'm not exactly sure what I was thinking when I switched to elementary education from architectural technology, but I should have been listening to my mom and changed it to math education. I have been a math tutor for 2 1/2 semesters now, and I never knew I could love a job so much. I love helping these girls I tutor understand something that has eluded them for the better part of 15 years. I have lost count of how many times someone has told me that I explain the concepts well, and each time I am filled with a feeling of euphoria because Heavenly Father is teaching those girls through me. I have the opportunity to help someone else in something they find to be a trial and that feeling is beyond wonderful. I just want to end this blog post expressing my gratitude for my blessings. I may not always realize His hand in my life, but when I do I know He has given me more than I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment